In February 1943, national socialists shot citizens in the courtyard of the Rostov prison. Rostov-on-Don was twice captured by the Wehrmacht: in the fall of 1941 and in the summer of 1942. On February 14, 1943, Rostov-on-Don was liberated by Soviet troops. During the retreat from the city, the national socialists carried out a mass shooting of citizens in the courtyard of the city prison. In total, 1154 corpses were found in the prison yard. In the walking yard of the prison, in a 300 cubic meter pit, 370 corpses were found, including 32 corpses of underage boys and girls and 85 corpses of women. In the distance of 50 meters from the pit, 308 people were shot, including 23 minors and 37 women. 346 people died from the explosion and fire of the prison building. In addition, 135 people were executed. Traces of torture, beatings and humiliation were found on the remains, many victims had their noses cut off, their eyes were punctured, their legs and hands were cut off. Many remnants of corpses which couldn’t be taken into account were found in the chambers. The following people were found among those shot in prison: Zhdanov Georgiy Mikhailovich — engineer of the «Red Hammer» factory; Anna Sergeevna Mikhailovskaya — worker of the 2nd garment factory; Podluzhnaya Natalya Alekseevna — worker of the Milk plant; Semenov Peter Ivanovich, Katangin Ivan Andreevich and Dudnikov Ivan who were 20 years old; Sinyukov Alexei Semenovich and Nenaglyadov Alexander Ivanovich at the age of 18, and many others. The shooting was carried out by the members of the SS sonderkommando "10-a."
The prison territory is comparable to the size of a football field. The complex of prison buildings located in the center of Rostov. The prison building was constructed in the shape of an inverted “E”, flattened and stretched. Ahead is a long, wide housing with cameras on both sides of the corridors. On the sides of the building - narrow wings, adjacent at right angles to the housing. These buildings are surrounded by high walls with barbed wire at the top. Today, this complex is used as the “Pre-trial Detention Center No. 1 of the Main Directorate of the Federal Penitentiary Service of the Rostov Region”. Prison buildings were constructed under Catherine II (1762-1796) and have been used as a place of detention up to the present day. A memorial plaque which would remind the citizens of the Nazi atrocities hasn’t been installed on the walls of the prison or inside its territory.
No memorable or mourning events are held near the prison either. A small survey showed that out of 73 people of different age groups, only 13 respondents were aware of the execution in the Rostov prison. This suggests that information about the mass murder is not widespread among rostovians.
Rostov-on-Don, Maxim Gorky st., 219. Due to the fact that this building belongs to the system of the Federal Penitentiary Service, access to outsiders is impossible.
There are no commemorative initiatives dedicated to this place.
1. Zaveshchano pomnit'… Donskie arhivy — 70-letiyu Velikoj Pobedy. Sbornik dokumentov i materialov. – Rostov-na-Donu: Izd-vo «Al'tair», 2015. pp. 89-92.