Hitler's invaders began mass extermination of the Jewish population of Dnepropetrovsk at night October 12-13, 1941.
By order of SD Head, Major Wilhelm von Mulde, Field Commandant Oberst-lieutenant von Alberti and Commandant of the City, Major von Goldeman, approximately 11,000 Jews with all their valuables were gathered in front of the Central Department Store at Karl Marx Avenue.
The Nazi occupants collected all the things of the gathered people. Then the people were put in columns of 800-1000 and under the escort of the reinforced security led to the ravine on the territory of the forest nursery opposite the Transport Institute (Dnipro National University of Rail Transport named after academician V. Lazaryan) (Dnipro, 1a Bronetankova Street). All of them were shot or thrown alive into this ravine with depth of 13-20 m during the night of 13-14 October. The Soviet Extraordinary State Commission carried out exhumation in November 1943 and established that the ravine was half full «of corpses of old people, children, women and men of different ages».
Sapegin, Zybalo and Nachinsky are the residents of the village, which previously existed near the Transport Institute. They witnessed the bloody tragedy in the ravine. They told, “it was snowing and raining at that cold night; people were brought in groups to the ravine; then were shot by German machine gunners and thrown the dead and wounded people into the ravine. The heart-rending screams and groans of the people shot by the Nazis were heard from several kilometers away. Neither especially brought for this purpose tractors could suppress this noise, nor planes that circled over the place of execution”.
№ 1. Established by the Soviets in 1975. Although the monument bears the inscription "To peaceful citizens - victims of fascism", it does not mention that the victims were Jews. Dimensions: height - 191 cm, width - 36-46 cm, length - 84-85 cm.
№ 2. Residents of the post-war town were told that civilians from the Soviet Union had been shot here. In the 1960s - 1980s, no one knew and could not say for sure that Jews were shot here. However, the residents of the city could not but were aware that the victims of this crime were predominantly Jews.
The inscription on the monument (in Hebrew and Ukrainian) (in front): "In this land lies the ashes of 10,000 peaceful Jews of Dnipropetrovsk who were brutally murdered on October 13-14, 1941, and many of our saint brothers and sisters who were tortured and shot by the Nazis (1941-1943). "And God will remember them and all the righteous of the world in his mercy and avenge for the blood of his slaves' shed" (from the prayer "Father of Mercy").
The inscription on the monument (behind): "The monument was created with the support of citizens of Dnepropetrovsk, the "Joint" charitable organization, the "Beit Baruch" charitable center, the "Chesed Menachem" charitable foundation, the "Sokhnut" world agency, the "Tzivos Hashem" children's club of the Jewish community center, the "Ilana" Jewish kindergarten and the "Kheder" Jewish kindergarten, the Jewish religious community, the Jewish media center "Shalom Haverim", the Jewish center "Shabat Shalom", Yeshiva named after Levi-Yitzhak, Yeshiva named after Suez - "Beit Chabad", the Israeli Cultural Center, SPC "Tkuma", the city Jewish community, the regional Jewish center "Culture and Mercy", secondary school № 144 named after Rabbi Levi I. Shneerson, the Beth Khan Pedagogical College, the press centre of the Jewish urban community and the Regional Council of Jews and Communities.
This matzeva (a Jewish tombstone in the form of a vertical stone slab, sometimes metallic or wooden, with Hebrew inscriptions and symbolic reliefs, is placed on the tomb to commemorate the deceased Jew (see: M. Nosonovski, "The Hebrew Tomb"). "Knotted in the Knot of Life": to the poetics of Jewish epitaphs // Notes on Jewish History [Electronic Source - http://berkovich-zametki.com/Nomer19/MN18.htm])) was developed for free in the workshop of the Institute of Applied Judaism in the name of Rabbi Pinchas Guelman. Architects: Millman, Mirkin, Yashunsky. Stone-cutter: Sticky. Designer: Janowski. Project author: Director of the Institute, sculptor Shmist. Date of installation: October 29, 2000 - 30 Tishrei 5761".
Dimensions: height - 197 cm, width - 20 cm, length - 100 cm.
Location of monuments: Gagarin Avenue, 72, a block between the University (Dnipro National University named after O. Gonchar) and Kazakova Street; 48°26′09″ North, 35°02′31″ East.
Further information in Russian and Ukrainian can be found here:
The platform was created as part of the “Memory – Wiki - In the footsteps of the memory of the “forgotten” victims of National Socialism in the countries of the former Soviet Union and Germany,” organized by the Berlin public association “KONTAKTE-KOHTAKTbI”.
The idea and the content of the website were developed by the students of history at four universities: Bremen University, Oles Honchar Dnipro National University, Southern Federal University in Rostov-on-Don and the National Research University "Higher School of Economics", Moscow.
The project was carried out by the association "KONTAKTE-KOHTAKTbI" with the support of the foundations “Erinnerung Lindau” and “Erinnerung, Verantwortung, Zukunft”, as well as the Federal Foreign Office of Germany.