During the occupation of Dnipropetrovs`k (August 1941 - October 1943), the Nazis killed 29,500 civilians, 30,000 prisoners of war, and 1,500 patients at Psychiatric Hospital "Igren".
After the occupation, the Military Command issued an order that 100 civilians would be killed for one murdered German officer and 30 civilians - for one soldier.
In September 1941, this order was executed in the area of Lokomotiv Stadium, where 100 people were shot.
A concentration camp was established in the city. It had several locations. One of these was a converted city prison in Tabirna Street. Due to the horrific living conditions, poor sanitation, lack of medical care, and heavy physical labor about 30,000 people perished in the camp from September 1941 to September 1943. The prisoners were interrogated, beaten, bullied, killed, fed once a day with cooked cabbage leaves. The prisoners were not provided with any medical assistance.
The Nazi Crime Investigation Commission in the Dnipropetrovs`k region, based on the testimony of civilians and a survey of the area around the Tikhvin Convent (171, Nadiya Oleksienko Str., Dnipropetrovsk), established that there is a mass grave on the territory.
At the time of the investigation, the crime scene measured 110 by 33 square meters was enclosed.
The Nazis tried to make it look like a civilian cemetery. The graves were located over the entire length of the plot in 7 rows. Wooden crosses were placed on some graves with different inscriptions. For example, on one of the crosses it was written: “An unknown Russian boy, 13 years old, died on September 9, 1941».
However, after the grave was discovered, 14 corpses of adult men dressed in Soviet military uniforms were found there. After removing 1 meter of soil, the Commission found that male corpses were buried in the fenced area. The thickness of the layer is 2 meters.
The tortured bodies were dressed in jackets and trousers of the Red Army pattern. There were several bodies under each cross. Based on the testimony of witnesses, the excavations, and the conclusion of the forensic examination, the Commission established that about 30,000 prisoners of war were buried at this location by the Nazis from 1941 to 1943.
Today the monument to the victims of Nazism, the Soviet prisoners of war, has been erected in the area of the former cemetery. It is located near Tikhvin Convent (171, Nadiya Oleksiyenko St.).
The monument consists of sculptures and memorial plaques situated below them, as well as a separate plaque with the inscription: "Here, on the territory of the former сonvent, 30 thousand of Soviet prisoners of war were shot in 1941-1943."
The dimensions of the memorial are approximately 15 x 3 x 3 meters. The composite of 3 sculptures depicts a woman with a child, a man in a military uniform, hugged by a child and a prisoner of war that was tortured to death and tied to a pillar.
These sculptures symbolize the victims and prisoners of war and their families who lost their parents, husbands, sons, brothers.
Under these sculptures, memorial plaques contain the names of people buried here whose identities have been identified in the course of the Commission's investigation. A tiled road leads to the monument and a small playground and a lawn are located in front of it. The territory of the convent is behind the monument.
On the right and left the memorial is partially surrounded by the fence of the convent, as well as the sidewalk, which runs parallel to the main road.
Located at: Ukraine, Dnipro, Nadiya Oleksienko street, 171 (GPS: 48 ° 26'47.1 "N 35 ° 00'19.7" E). The monument is located near the Tikhvin Convent. It is enough to find the central entrance to the convent and, without entering it, walk 50 meters to the right. Access to the monument is open all the time, the area is public and not fenced.
The erection of the monument was initiated by the city and district authorities during the Soviet Union. Since then, the monument has not changed. People come to the monument, bring flowers, usually on the day of the end of World War II. The monument is not very popular because of its distance from the city center. The lawn is trimmed, the area around the site is cleared, the facts of vandalism have not been noticed.
(only in Ukrainian)
1. Архів Управління Служби Безпеки України у Дніпропетровській області (далі – Архів УСБУ у Дніпропетровській області). – Ф. 8, оп. 1, спр. «Матеріали по штабу «СС» , т.1. – 265 с.
2. Архів УСБУ у Дніпропетровській області. – Ф. 8, оп. 1, спр. 35, т.1. – 78 с.
3. Архів УСБУ у Дніпропетровській області. – Ф. 11, оп. 1, спр. 129, т. 1. – 147 с.
4. Архів УСБУ у Дніпропетровській області. – Ф. 11, оп.1, спр. 81, т. 1. – 138 с.
5. Архів УСБУ у Дніпропетровській області. – Ф. 11, оп.1, спр. «Поліція і школа «СС» Софіївського району», т.1. – 154 с.
6. Архів УСБУ в Дніпропетровській області. – Ф. 11, оп.1, – спр. «Матеріали по жандармерії і поліції Сталінського району», т.1. – 263 с.
7. Державний архів Дніпропетровської області (далі – ДАДО) – Ф. Р. – 3233, оп. 1., спр. 12. – 103 с.
8. ДАДО – Ф. Р.-3233, оп. 1. спр. 7., – 162 с.
9. ДАДО – Ф. Р.-2584, оп. 1, спр. 3., – 180 с.