* in the occupied territories
The Brotherly Tomb to 180 civilians executed on August 23, 1941
From 3 p.m. on 23.08.1941, the Nazis began to drive the residents of Zhukovsky, Uritsky and Republican streets to the courtyard of House No. 3 at Republican Street (they found a cellar there). The men were lined up in 4 rows and shot with a machine gun. The reason for the action was the killing of two German soldiers.
Among the executed there were many children of school age: Pyotr Anisimovich Voropai (born 1924), Vasily Nikolaevich Porokh (born 1925), Ivan Mikhailovich Konek (born 1925), Nikolay Ivanovich Konek (born 1925), Alexey Mikhailovich Tsybulko (born 1926), Pavel Mikhailovich Tsybulko (born 1927) and others. A total of 180 people were shot.
After the liberation of Dneprodzerzhinsk, a wooden obelisk was placed on the mass grave. In 1965, by the decision of the Dneprodzerzhinsk City Executive Committee of Workers' Deputies, a monument was erected in order to perpetuate the memory of the executed.
In the reference №16 of the Ukrainian SSR, compiled by the Executive Committee of the Dneprodzerzhinsk City Council of Deputies and Workers dated 27.03.1972, it is said: "In the mass grave, which is located on the Republican street in front of the dormitory of the trust in the city of Dneprodzerzhinsk, 180 civilians shot by German occupiers are buried...".
The monument is in good condition, locals clean up the territory, plant flowers on the grave and set up benches. But around the memorable place the dilapidated buildings of the former dormitory continue to collapse.
Architect: Merited Worker of Culture Krimtsov A., Artist - Keller M.