The Shooting Range Hebertshausen (German: Schießplatz Hebertshausen) was a shooting range at Dachau concentration camp, located two kilometers north of the Dachau main camp for SS guards that used live Soviet prisoners of war as targets. It was built in 1937-38 as an expansion to Dachau concentration camp. Between 1941 and 1942, more than 4,000 Soviet prisoners were murdered on the site. These were mainly officers, communist officials, and Jews. The victims were “singled out” according to ideological and racist criteria by Gestapo Einsatzkommandos in the POW camps of the military districts of Munich, Nuremberg, Stuttgart, Wiesbaden and Salzburg.
After World War II, American troops assumed control of the site and continued to use it as a firing range.
In the 1950s the site was handed over to the Free State of Bavaria and administered by the Bavarian Ministry of Finance. Since 1997, the site has been in the care of the State Centre for Political Education. On May 2, 2014, the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site opened the newly designed memorial to Nazi victims at the former SS shooting range Hebertshausen.
Visitors can view an exhibition with information about the site in multiple languages. Currently, 816 names of those murdered are listed on the memorial installations in Hebertshausen. The Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site estimates that between 1500 and 2000 names of victims can be identified over the long term. There is also a memorial stone created by the artist Will Elfes in 1964 on site.
The Munich-based Consulate General of the Russian Federation and the Consulate General of Ukraine have accepted the former Hebertshausen shooting range as a memorial to their fallen soldiers. In addition, yearly ceremonies are held at the site to commemorate the anniversary of the liberation of the Dachau concentration camp (April 29).
The platform was created as part of the “Memory – Wiki - In the footsteps of the memory of the “forgotten” victims of National Socialism in the countries of the former Soviet Union and Germany,” organized by the Berlin public association “KONTAKTE-KOHTAKTbI”.
The idea and the content of the website were developed by the students of history at four universities: Bremen University, Oles Honchar Dnipro National University, Southern Federal University in Rostov-on-Don and the National Research University "Higher School of Economics", Moscow.
The project was carried out by the association "KONTAKTE-KOHTAKTbI" with the support of the foundations “Erinnerung Lindau” and “Erinnerung, Verantwortung, Zukunft”, as well as the Federal Foreign Office of Germany.